Quality Care Matters
STARS for KIDS NOW provides parents with a tool to help identify levels of quality when seeking a childcare setting outside of their home. Childcare centers and family childcare homes participating in STARS for KIDS NOW demonstrate a commitment toward providing quality care and education. Parents can use the rating system to gain an understanding of the factors that contribute to quality care and education, and can choose a child care setting that best matches their family's needs.
What does a STARS for KIDS NOW rating mean for your child? STARS rated centers and family child care homes are showing their commitment to quality by entering the STARS for KIDS NOW program.
- STARS for KIDS NOW standards and requirements are based on the quality indicators: child-to-caregiver ratios, program curriculum, child care staff training, program regulatory compliance and personnel policies.
- Parents can participate in family involvement activities.
- All STAR levels have measurable quality indicators above the state licensing minimum requirements.
- Child care program owner/director has completed an evaluation of the program using a nationally standardized tool, the Environmental Rating Scale (ERS). (by Harms, Cryer and Clifford)
- Center/program develops annual improvement plan based on previous ERS score.
- Child care staff is offered opportunity to participate in Kentucky's Early Childhood Development Scholarship to further their education.
What difference does quality make?
|Governor's Office of Early Childhood - 125 Holmes St. - Frankfort, KY 40601 - (502)782-0200|