Skip to main content


RFA Technical Questions​

Will the T/TA webinar be recorded?
We are in the process of creating a webinar of the RFA Overview presentation at the 2013 CECC Annual Institute.  Please check the RFA Toolkit at for regular updates. 

On page 5 of the RFA the membership requirement indicate that “all” Head Start/Early Head Starts must be members.  What is meant by “All”?
“All” refers to all Head Start /Early Head Start Grantees in a service area.  For a list of Head Start Grantees and their service areas, refer to

Where can I find more information and tools on how to write my RFA?
The GOEC has created a website to assist CECCs in their efforts to submit a high quality application.  Please visit our RFA Toolkit regularly for updates.

Are times listed in the RFA document Eastern or Central time?
All times found in the RFA document are based on Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). 

Can Head Starts and School Districts receive funding from the CECC in the form of mini grants?
The RFA does not restrict funding by organization type. The intention of mini grants is to build capacity in local early childhood organizations to increase school readiness in each community.  Councils are encouraged to adopt strategies that are broadly inclusive of community partners

Do centers have to be STARS rated to receive assistance from the CECC?
This is not specified in the RFA.  . Councils should consider what the needs are in their community to determine where funds should be used. 

Will a copy of the RFA PowerPoint be available for CECCs to access?
Yes.  Please visit our RFA tool kit at regularly for updates 

How much should the CECC set aside to send two people to the Institute?
Please refer to the Mandatory Uses section of the RFA.  There is not a specific amount suggested. If the CECC fails to send two people to the Institute, the remainder must be sent back to the GOEC.  If the CECC budgeted too much for the Institute, they may submit a budget amendment to use the funds elsewhere.  

Will the FAQ be available on the website?
Yes.  Please visit our RFA tool kit at regularly for updates.

Can you provide further examples of high quality activities that will ensure children enter School Ready?
At the 2013 CECC Institute, there were many examples of high quality activities. The CECC should follow the directions of the RFA, collaborate with community partners, and visit the RFA Toolkit at to determine activities that will support School Readiness in the community.  

Is there a specific funding cap for being fully funded?
Please refer t​o the RFA Appendix H for maximum funding levels for each county. 

Do fully funded CECCs still have to send two members to the Annual Institute?
According to the FY14 RFA every council must send at least two members of the CECC to the Annual Institute.  

If the GOEC receives two applications from the same county, what happens?
If multiple applications are received for overlapping geographic areas, all applications received for these areas will be disqualified. 

The Conflict of Interest is new.  Why do members need to complete a Conflict of Interest?
According to KRS 200.707, each member of the CECC must complete a Conflict of Interest to disclose any conflicts that may arise out of their Council work and other dealings.  A lot of CECC members will have conflicts and, while persons who directly profit from a vote must abstain, those conflicts are not considered a removable offense. For example, members who own Child Care Centers may be voting members of the CECC.  However, when a mini grants vote is taken that will affect his/her center; he/she must abstain from the vote. 

What if without those votes, the CECC will not have a quorum to conduct business?
According to Robert’s Rules of Order, a quorum is defined as members present, not members voting.  Therefore, the establishment of a quorum is not impacted by members who abstain due to the conflict of interest, but members who are present.  

Do we need to send copies of the Conflict of Interest with each copy of the RFA?
No.  The GOEC will only need Conflicts of Interest attached to the original copy of the application. 

The RFA now requires a Communications Plan.  What is the purpose of the Communication plan?
One focus​ of the GOEC is to encourage all partners in early childhood to speak with one voice.  We develop a monthly message for CECCs to inform the community about issues surrounding early childhood.  The Communications Plan piece of the RFA is where you tell us your plan to get the message out to your community.

Last year, it took a long time before the CECC received the check.  How can the CECC get its funds faster?
The GOEC works closely with the Finance and Administration Cabinet to ensure CECCs receive their checks in a timely manner.  However, certain steps must be followed before a check can be released.  The steps are:  
1.) A Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) will be mailed to the fiscal agent that details the contractual agreement between the Commonwealth of Kentucky and the individual CECC.  
2.) The MOA must be signed by the Chair or fiscal agent of the CECC.  The original signed copy must then be sent to the 
GOEC c/o Amanda Flanary 125 Holmes St.  Frankfort, KY 40601. 
3.) Upon receipt, the GOEC will forward a signed original copy of the MOA to the Finance and Administration Cabinet for further review. 
4.) Once approved and signed by the Finance and Administration Cabinet, the GOEC will receive an “effective date” for award monies.  
5.) The GOEC will then request CECCs to submit an invoice for the total amount of grant.  
6.) Once an invoice has been received by this office and approved by the Finance and Administration Cabinet, a check for the total award amount will be mailed to the CECC fiscal agent.

​In the RFA it states that CECCs may not use funds for “equipment”.  Does this include things like iPods/iPads and other new technologies?
KIDS Now funds may not be used for electronic equipment or new technologies.  

CECCs used to get a list of outcome examples to base decisions on.   How do we determine what outcomes are important to the GOEC without the list?
The GOEC realizes that CECCs understand their own community more than we can.  Therefore, CECCs should determine how best to serve their communities.  Using past experience and the Early Childhood Profiles, CECCs should propose where resources would improve the outcomes in their community and make the case that this strategy will help “move the needle”  in school readiness measures.

Can we use money for refreshments during day care trainings and other events?
The RFA states, under Restriction on use of Funds, funds may not be used to purchase refreshments.  However, feel free to contact local business to donate food and drinks.  
Do we need specifics for our timeline of proposed activities in the Strategic Plan section (i.e. On October 28th, 2013, we will host our annual Community Baby Shower.), or will general information be acceptable (i.e. During the Fall of 2013, we will host our annual Community Baby Shower.)?
A generalized vision of the timeline is acceptable.  However, many CECCs will use their Strategic Plan as a guide for planning.  Please utilize the Strategic Plan to ensure success of your activities.

Can Cooperative Extension serve as fiscal agents?
Cooperative Extensions may serve as fiscal agents.

The RFA refers to a Monthly Messaging Toolkit that is to be used for our communication plan.  Where can I find this Monthly Message?
​Each month, the GOEC has been sending out a Monthly Message that CECCs should consider their Toolkit.  This information is what should be broadcast into the community.  
The last time our council submitted for grant approval there was a form we used for the grant.  In the RFA there were templates we were to use for the entire grant.  I know there are a few forms we are to use for this grant, such as budget and budget narrative and the cover page.  Are these the only required forms?  If so, do we just put a heading at the top of the page to indicate what it is, such as project summary, strategic plan, communication plan or community needs?
​The templates that are located in the toolkit are there for ease of use.  For the writing of your grant, please review the Formatting Requirements of the RFA for directions.

We are a bit confused about the budget and budget narrative.  Do we just need to simply fill out the appendices for each of these, or will we be required to have a paragraph version too?  Please clarify the difference between these documents and what is required.
The Budget template is the dollar amounts of what the projects would cost.  The Budget Narrative is where you justify what you plan to spend in paragraph form.  

​Do the council members fill out numbers 1 & 2 on the Conflict of Interest? If so, could you explain who would fill out # 1 and who would fill out #2.?
​On the Conflict of Interest statement, and example of someone who would fill out the information in #1 would be someone on your council who is a Child Care provider and votes on what is to be done with funds.  A person who would put information in #2 is someone who gets paid for training and places votes with your council.​

Is the Work Plan to be part of the narrative or is it to be a separate document (as before)? Does the Narrative Template not have any description in the first page?
​The Work Plan should be integrated in the Strategic Plan.  A well written application would clearly explain the plans for the activities along with describing how the activities will ensure School Readiness. The Narrative Budget Template is where you defend your use of funds in a narrative form.  The Budget Template is simply the numbers requested for each line item.

On the title page for the early childhood grant, it asks for a state id #, which one do we use?
This should be your TAX Id number. This number will be used by our Finance department. 

A council member asked for a clarification concerning mini-grants and specifically what is included in the 25%. We have different opinions and do not want to take a chance of making an error here. Which of these (any or all) are included in the 25% mini-grants: professional development such as textbook reimbursement to center? Training contracted by the council on topics of teaching math and reading to young children? Encouragement of STARS participation? Resources for centers in areas of literacy and math?
Mini-grants are funds that are given to an organization for projects they may be working on.  For example, giving funds to a Child Care Center to purchase appropriate cribs or to gain/retain STARS participation.

Is there a required order to submit the CECC RFA components?​
It is suggested that you should order the components as similar to the RFA format as possible, but there is no requirement for the order in which the sections should be placed.​

On the cover page where it asks for total pages, does that include just the application components, or does it include the application components and the required components?   
The total number of pages refers to the application components. There is a detailed list under Formatting Requirements in the RFA document.  

On the Fiscal Agent Name should I put the person who is in charge of the organization, which in our case is the public library?
As for the fiscal agent, please give us the information of the person you will be working closest with. This will be our point of contact for any future funding questions. 

​This question is about the KN14 RFA Cover Sheet.  At the top it asks for how many pages are in the grant application…please clarify: is it the narrative only that is required to be 20 or less or ALL pages including cover sheet, appendices, Letters of Support, Conflict of Interest Statements, etc.?  
The 20 page limit does NOT include the Appendices and Required Components, including the Members List, Letters of Commitment, the Conflict of interest, Budget and Budget Narrative. The limit of 20 pages includes the Community Needs, Strategic Plan and Communication Plan. 

CECC Membership

Should faith-based schools and independent school districts be included?
The RFA does not prohibit faith based organizations to participate as a member of a CECC. To ensure collaboration for School Readiness, all interested partners should be included in projects, including Faith Based schools.

My community has very few or no registered childcare facilities.  Is the CECC required to have child care as a partner?
The RFA requires that a representative from child care be a member of each council. All counties have a registered and/or licensed child care facility. Please visit the Cabinet for Health and Family Services for a list of registered and licensed child care facilities in your area at

Should CECCs include parents who care for their own children in their own home?
Consult page 5 in the RFA for membership requirements. CECCs are community organizations and should adopt activities that promote ensuring ALL children are ready for school, including those not in an organized setting. 

In a Multi-County Council, what are the CECC membership requirements?
Please refer to the KRS 200.707 or the FY14 RFA for clarification.  CECCs are required to have representation from Childcare, all School Districts, and all Head Starts within their service area.

Is there a specific partner the GOEC is looking for from the local school district?
The RFA does not specify who must represent the school district on your council.  However, to promote community collaboration, the CECC should encourage any interested partner to participate in the work of the CECC. 

Would we include church nursery programs since we want to include all preschool children in the community?
The RFA does not specify who must be included on your council other than childcare, all head starts and all school districts.  However, to promote community collaboration, the CECC should encourage any interested partner to participate in the work of the CECC. 

My CECC serves a multi-county area.  Do I need representatives from Head Start, Child Care and local School districts from all counties represented?
Please refer to the KRS 200.707 or the FY14 RFA for clarification.  CECCs are required to have representation from Childcare, all School Districts, and all Head Starts within their service area.


Is it true that funding under $100.00 at the end of a CECC Fiscal Year can be rolled over into the new year, and only funds over $100.00 must be returned?

Yes. The Governor's Office of Early Childhood only requires funds be sent back if the amount is over $100.00. Any amount less should be rolled into the next year's funds. 

At the institute there was mention of a new/revised KRS. Can you tell me where I can read the revised KRS or what the number is? 

The Revised KRS is currently located in the RFA Toolkit section of our website, What CECCs should know about the changes are:
1. CECCs are no longer required to submit quarterly reports.  KRS 200.707 now says one year end report is all that is required.
2. CECCs must demonstrate active participation and collaboration from all of the following required groups within the service area: 
​​1) Child Care 
2) all Head Starts and/or Early Head Starts and 
3) all Local School District(s).  
3. Each member of the CECC receives one vote. This replaces one vote per sector in Early Childhood Education.

Does the number of child care spaces included on the Early Childhood Profile include school aged children?

The number of child care spaces is the number of child care spaces per county from the 2012 KIDS COUNT Data. Therefore, yes, the total number of child care spaces includes school age children. 

Who should sign the grant application - the current chair or the chair that will oversee the grant (coming in July)? 
The person that should sign as the Chair of your local CECC will be the main contact for the GOEC on matters pertaining to the community. If the person administering the grant awards and/or newly elected chair, that person should sign the documents.  If the current chair will continue to be in contact with our offices, that person should sign the documents. ​

If you or your CECC have other questions please don’t hesitate to call our offices at 502-782-0200 or email at